If you would like to apply for permission to reproduce material from Lion Hudson Limited, please apply for permissions using the PLS Clear website.
Before applying, please please read the FAQs below and the following information that might be relevant to you in this exceptional time.
Permissions Update – Coronavirus
Many of you have been approaching us for permission to use chapters from our publications. These are exceptional circumstances, and we want to do what we can to facilitate fellowship even when the community is not physically present. Nevertheless, we as a publisher, cannot afford to have large amounts of our material available on the internet free of charge lest it damage our own ministry and that of the author. We would therefore ask you to adhere to our fair-dealing policy which allows for an extract of up to 800 words to be used (please see our fair-dealing policy below).
If you are unsure as to whether your request meets our fair-dealing criteria, or would like further help, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information and our Rights team will be in touch with you.
- Your name
- Your email
- Title of Book
- Translation language (if applicable)
- Information about your permission request
Special Coronavirus Permissions Policy for Reading Candle Books and Lion Children’s Books on camera for corporate worship or assemblies
We have received a number of requests over the past few days from people wanting to use material from our children’s titles for online use, we want to help where we can within reasonable limits, and so we have come up with the following policy:
- You verbally acknowledge [title of book] by [author] as the source of the stories and include a caption ‘used by permission of Lion Hudson Ltd.’
- You limit yourself to reading up to three stories, and reapply for permission for any further use.
- If posting on a website, you remove the material from your site after a period of six months, we reserve the right to request removal of the material prior to the six month deadline if we deem it necessary.
- You give us permission to share it ourselves, in so doing, you tag us in the video so that we can put it on our social feeds and share it, giving you credit as the creator.
- You will include the following links to our website for the print edition: [add link to Lion Hudson website for the print edition] and for the audiobook: [add link to the Lion Hudson website for audio edition].
Summary note on video usage of our books:
- The video content using our titles must not be created for any commercial use.
- The videos must be of reading out the text only, please do not show the illustrations but you can show the cover of the book.
- The videos must include the copyright line from the book (Text copyright © … etc.) and have ‘Used with permission from Lion Hudson Ltd’.
- The videos can be distributed for a period of 6 months, after this they must be deleted.
- The emails containing the videos sent out to the congregation must include a link to where the book is on our website’.
If you need further help or clarification please contact us at email@example.com .
Permissions – FAQs
- Is this book still in copyright?
Copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the author, so you might have to carry out some research to answer this question! Please note that Lion Hudson Limited is unable to search for this information on your behalf.
- Do I need permission for a quote in my church newsletter or for use by a not-for-profit organization?
Lion Hudson Ltd grants churches and other not-for-profit organizations permission to use material from publications copyrighted by Lion Hudson Ltd in church bulletins, newsletters and other short-term non-book publications free of charge, within the following limits: the paragraphs quoted must not amount to a complete chapter of the book or account for 20% of the total work in which they are quoted. It is the responsibility of the author to check that the copyright of the book belongs to Lion Hudson Ltd . We cannot grant permission for non-Lion Hudson Ltd publications. Notice of copyright should appear in the work as follows: ‘[Title] by [author], copyright [date] by Lion Hudson Ltd’. If you have any questions you can contact PLSclear.
- What is fair dealing?
The practice called fair dealing allows free use of copyright material employed to illustrate an idea or comment or give weight to an argument, in research or private study, without the need for permission, under the following conditions:
Prose: A single extract under 400 words or several extracts from the same publication, each under 300 words and totalling under 800 words. Note below.
Poetry and songs: Fair dealing does not apply. Permission must be sought from the publisher for all extracts, and this will usually be granted on payment of a fee.
It is not necessary to request permission from Lion Hudson unless these usages are exceeded. However, please note that if an extract is included in a commercially published project or as a piece that stands alone without comment on its content or direct relevance to surrounding material (e.g. as an extract in an anthology of prayers, meditations or poetry), permission must be sought to include the extract no matter what its length and a fee may apply.
- Permissions Requests
All permission requests that do not fall under the church newsletter exception in section 2 or fair dealing criteria in section 3 must be referred to PLSclear.
Requests to use material from Lion Hudson Ltd books, should include the following information:
- title and author of the Lion Hudson book from which you wish to use material
- title and author and publisher of your book
- territory of distribution for your book (UK, EU, world, etc.)
- print run (total number of copies to be printed)
- publication date of your book
- price of your book
- your complete postal address, email address, telephone and fax numbers